Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

Mutual exchange

For people who are already tenants in social housing it is often quicker to register and look for another tenant to swap homes with than wait for a transfer to a new property.

You are only able to swap to a property with the number of bedrooms your household needs and you may not be able to exchange if you are in the first year of your tenancy. You should check with your landlord whether you are eligible and whether they have any specific requirements that you need to meet to be able to exchange homes.

When you are registered and have found someone you would like to swap with, you and the other tenant will need to contact your landlords for permission to swap and to have some checks carried out at your home.