Who can use Home-Link

Who can use Home-Link? 

Anyone who has been accepted onto the housing register in one of the Home-Link local authority areas is able to use the service. To apply to join the housing register you must be over 16 years of age. Anyone under 18 will require a responsible adult to hold their tenancy in trust if they are made an offer.


You will need to complete an application form, which can be done on this website (click on the register button at the top of the page). The application form enables you to apply for a council or housing association rented home. Due to the high demand for these properties, registering does not guarantee you will be made an offer. You should have a look at the other housing options available.


The Home-Link partners will ask you to provide documents as proof of the information on your application form. You will need to provide this within 28 days of making your application or it will be cancelled.


Along with your application form you will be asked to provide the following documents:


  • Proof of identity for all household members (e.g. passports, birth certificates)

  • Proof of current address (e.g. recent gas or electricity bill)

  • Evidence of your right to reside in the UK if you are not a British Citizen (e.g. passport and other relevant documents from the Home Office)

  • Proof of income (e.g. recent bank statements)


You may also be asked for other information, such as medical evidence, if it is relevant to your application.

Who cannot use Home-Link?


You cannot use Home-Link if you have not completed an application form and been accepted onto the housing register.


There are also some people who will not by law be eligible to join the housing register. These are:


  • Certain people who are subject to Immigration Control under the 1996 Asylum and Immigration Act

  • Certain people from abroad who are not subject to immigration control but who are not habitually resident in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland



There are also some people who will not qualify for Home-Link. These are:


  • People (including members of their household) who have been guilty of unacceptable behaviour that makes them unsuitable to be a tenant
  • People who do not have a local connection to any of the Home-Link local authority areas (or a special circumstance that can be considered)