Your Housing Options

There is a range of different housing options available, depending upon your circumstances.  With the demands for social housing ever increasing, not everyone will be successful in applying for a home through Home-Link, please be aware of all the options that may be open to you:


Social Housing

With social housing (renting from a Local Authority or housing association) you tend to have more security, providers often offer 5 year tenancies or long term assured tenancies, and guarantees of service such as repairs.  Rents are generally lower than if you rent privately, but this gap is narrowing. 

Social housing is in great demand and people wait a long time before being offered a property and some people will never be offered a property because they are in such short supply.


Private Rented Accommodation

Private tenancies are usually for a fixed term of 6 or 12 months initially, but if you are a good tenant, you can usually stay much longer. Private landlords offer a wide range of accommodation, and you are not restricted in what you can choose, other than by what you like and what you can afford. Rents can be higher than in social housing, but households on lower incomes may be eligible for help with the rent. Check out the Local Housing Allowance before you commit to a tenancy.


Home Ownership

Outside the traditional route to buying your home, there are a number of schemes to help you get on the property ladder.  We advertise shared ownership and discounted properties on the website and there is also more information on the Government's Help to Buy website.


Mutual Exchange

If you are already a social housing tenant, you may be able to advertise your home for a mutual exchange.

You advertise your home to other tenants who are looking for a move.  If you find someone with whom you want to swap homes, your landlord will carry out some checks to make sure the properties are suitable for swapping and that there have been no problems with the tenancies.  If everyone is ok, you arrange a date for a move and off you go.

Visit the Exchange Locata website to see what’s available. If you wish, you can then register your details and advertise your property. Your landlord may also subscribe to other mutual exchange schemes - ask them for details.


Sheltered Housing

Sheltered housing could suit you if you want to live independently but need a bit more support, or if you want to live in a smaller and easier-to-manage home.  It is usually only available to those aged 55 and over.


Some common features of sheltered housing include:


  • help from a scheme manager (warden), or support staff
  • 24-hour emergency help through an alarm system
  • communal areas, such as gardens or lounges
  • social activities for residents.


Features vary from scheme to scheme. At some schemes you get more support than others. If you’re interested in a particular scheme, make sure you understand what services are available.


Extra care Housing

Extra care housing is purpose-built accommodation with care and support for older and vulnerable people.

Extra care housing offers you the opportunity to live independently while having the reassurance of staff on-site 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  Additional support can also be arranged for those who need it.

If you would like to know more about Extra care housing, visit